Sunday, December 7, 2008

Co-dependency!?

So I just finished a 12-week course on How to Conquer Co-Dependency. I didn't really know what that scary/therapyie word really meant. The class definition is basically "the compulsion to fix everyone and everything." Wow, Hmm yeah I do that. Geez! So what have I learned? Lots. A couple things of note. I am not responsible for other people's feelings. I can't make people happy, keep them from being angry. I also spend WAY too much time trying to figure out what people are thinking. The ONLY way to know what another person is thinking is to ask them. That seems simple enough! The thing about co-dependency is that it starts out "good." Wanting to help someone, wanting to protect others feelings, but it gets out of hand. Needing others approval to feel good about yourself is unhealthy. Taking care of other people while neglecting ones own physical and emotional needs is unhealthy. All of these things just seemed so natural to me but they produced a ton of frustration and anxiety in me. I am choosing to not be co-dependent, or at least try and recognize the behavior and make some changes. I can already feel a difference, it's little things. I can say things I am thinking now because I don't have to worry about what feelings my feelings may bring up in the other person I am talking to, hmm. I can say no to doing something that is not my responsibility instead of doing it out of false obligation and then resenting the person who asked me! Cool. So, Hi I'm Andrea, I am a recovering Co-dependent.

1 comment:

HubBub said...

I'm proud of you, sweetheart!